The Indonesian Government allows travellers to Indonesia to claim a tax refund on goods purchased in any shop (retailer) displaying the ‘VAT Refund for Tourist’ logo. The scheme allows tourists (foreign passport holders) to claim back Value Added Tax (VAT) on goods purchased in any store registered as a ‘VAT Refund for Tourist’ participant.
How To Claim The VAT Refund
- Tourists must spend a minimum about of Rp. 500.000 (five hundred thousand Rupiah) in one valid tax invoice from participating stores with the same purchase date.
- Goods must be purchased within one (1) month of departure from Indonesia.
- Goods much be carried out of Indonesia as accompanied baggage overseas within one (1) month of the date of purchase.
VAT Refund Eligibility Criteria
Any foreign passport holder who is:
- Not an Indonesian citizen or permanent resident of Indonesia, who lives or stays in Indonesia no longer than two (2) months since she/he has arrived in Indonesia.
- Not a member of an airline crew.
Where To Claim
The VAT Refund counter can be found to the rear of the airline check-in counter and next to the Customs office.
VAT Logo, displayed at eligible stores